Quit Smoking in North Belfast
Lots of people think they need cigarettes to cope with stress. However, nicotine is a stimulant – so it’s like drinking a tin of red bull to help you relax!
Clients often tell me they don’t get anything from it anymore, and it’s a really bad, engrained habit.
Most smokers want to be ex-smokers!
What’s your reason to quit? Perhaps you:
- Have had a health scare
- Want to see your child/grandchild grow up (each cigarette cuts 11 mins off your life)
- Been told by your GP or consultant to give up
- Want to have a baby
- Are fed up having to stand outside in the cold and rain to smoke
- Work somewhere which is going smoke free
- Are worried about premature ageing
- Suffer from impotence
- Want to be a role model for your children (if you smoke they are
twice as likely to)
- Want to feel better, healthier and more attractive.
I choose not to treat people who want to stop smoking for financial reasons.
The science bit
In the 1990s a study concluded hypnosis was better and more effective than just about every other treatment it was compared to, including nicotine replacement and aversion. It was a meta-analysis on 633 studies, 48 of which included hypnosis, with over 6,000 people.
We know more sessions were reported as being better than fewer based on Holroyd’s 1980 review of 17 clinical reports. This study also suggested individual tailoring was better than treating each client the same.
Stub it out – Evidence based hypnotherapy for you to succeed
Your tailored programme of two sessions (each lasting about 90 minutes) may include:
– habit-reversal – in a study of 300 people, a 90% reduction in the frequency was achieved rising to 97% after a month, following a 2-hour treatment session.
– aversion – the habit becomes associated with unpleasant sensations.
– a technique for letting go of cravings.
– audios to reinforce and embed the techniques.
I strongly encourage clients to take any and all help available alongside hypnotherapy to increase their chances of success.
How many sessions?
The smoking cessation programme is two sessions, each lasting around one and a half hours, one week apart (paid in advance). Audios are provided to reinforce and embed the techniques.